Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Closed Today!

100_0237Its been kind of quiet around here for a while, and here's one of the many reasons why: I've been busy house shopping! Closed on this one today! A fixer-upper on a great street in Essex Junction! I didn't want to put it on my site until now in case it all flew apart, but now I'm thinking it would have been fun to blog the buying process... it was rather interesting and people who haven't bought yet would probably like to know how it all goes down. Oh well. But I just took a count of my "house" folder in my gmail and I have accumulated 304 emails pertaining to the house hunt and purchase. To the prospective first time buyer: Buy soon! There are amazing deals and VHFA loans are locking in at 5.75%! But do have some cash around. You don't have to put anything down but all the checks I've sent various directions have been pretty crazy. There was $2000 for the deposit, 300 or so for the inspection, maybe 400 for the appraisal, 500 to the attorney, another 1500 at closing, oh, something like 300 for application fee. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I got much of this back, but still had to have it available until getting it back. I guess I'd say have 6000 or so at the ready, assuming zero down, and assuming the house doesn't need any immediate repairs, furniture, or appliances (mine needs all of those, but I had planned for it). That about sums up what I learned. That, and a good realtor is worth their commission in gold. I used to think I'd be a for-sale-by-owner type, and maybe I will someday, but I'm glad I had a good realtor for the first time around. Ask me for her card! Actually, I'd also highly recommend the inspector, the lender, and the attorney that I used. I've got cards from them all.

The pictures I have so far are here

1 Comments:

Blogger Marsha said...

The house is so cute..well manly too hahah
But I really like how it looks...

January 12, 2007 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home